Friday, November 30, 2007

20:07 (Falling Slowly)

Screenshots from the 20th minute and 7th second of a movie
I can't guarantee the same results at home. I use a VLC


You have suffered enough
And warred with yourself
It's time that you won

Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you had a choice
You've made it now

I love that that "Falling Slowly" the best song and best scene from Once arrives so quickly in the movie and that it resonates for so long afterwards. The effect that the sequence has on its leads (the first time the leads are musically joined) is similar to what's happening to the audience: you find yourself ever more drawn to these two souls as they're drawn to each other, sharing in a musical passion.

In truth this is the first 20:07 image that I've doctored. In the second in question the camera does a swift pan right to left from Markéta to Glen. Neither are fully in the frame simultaneously. It's a point for the movie and its insightful wise portrait of this bittersweet relationship, that I couldn't bear to see them separated. [prev article on Once]

12 comments:

Michael Parsons said...

This is one of those films that the more I think about it, the more I love it

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed Once when I saw it and I think it's a very good movie, but I don't quite have the passion that most seem to have for it. I'll try it out again.

Sam said...

What a lovely, bittersweet movie.

Robert said...

What a wonderful movie. I'm still not sure if I want to list a "Best of 2007" thing on my blog. The downside is it wouldn't be ready for several months into 08 (Cleveland theaters).

But how can I resist the opportunity to pimp movies like Once to my, albeit small, readership.

Catherine said...

I still haven't seen it, which is pretty awful of me. I think I recognise that music shop in the still though. I really don't know why I never saw it, it's been out here for aaaaages. My friend has it on dvd, I'll get it off her sometime.

Hedwig said...

Ah, how perfect that that song is at 20:07! I love how the two actors, who had already played the song quite a bit before this, managed to make it look like they're discovering the joy of playing with each other as we watch, discovering how great the song is, in fact, at the same time we are.

I don't think this will be my best movie of 2007, but it is definitely the sweetest and most romantic.

RJ said...

This song is eligible now, right? Because..come on

Y Kant Goran Rite said...

I'm the opposite to michael parsons - this is one of those films that the more I think about it, the less I can tolerate it. I'm still a bit stunned by the universal adulation. It's far from awful, obviously, but it's such an awkward, angsty thing. Both the characters and the writers seem to have the emotional IQ of an undergrad (and the songs irritated the hell out of me).

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on that one y kant goran rite. An original song nomination for Falling Slowly is pretty much all it deserves methinks.

Glenn Dunks said...

Agreed with goran and amir. I lot of it comes down to my feeling that the woman was a daft twit. and I just wanted something to happen outside of entirely random trips to the country side. As I get further away from the less I care.

rosengje said...

This remains my number 1 movie of the year, and I can only see it being supplanted by Atonement or There Will Be Blood. Every time I think about Glen and Marketa singing Falling Slowly i fight back the tears. Yes, it is an obsession.

adam k. said...

I'm with Jamie.

Both "Falling Slowly" and "When You're Mind's Made Up" make me cry.